I have a new granddaughter, Olivia, due in July 2013, so I wanted to make her some special dresses. The first dress I made was a simple button front day gown out of pale pink batiste. I included double needle pintucks on both front sides and edged the neck and sleeves with lace.

Twin Needle Pintucks on the Front
Very Pretty
Detail of Bouillion Roses

 

I also hand embroidered pink bullion roses on the front between the buttons. It turned out really pretty and delicate.

 

 

 

 

The second dress I made was a little more detailed. I had a heavily embroidered vintage wedding handkerchief that I wanted to use, so I used it for the bodice of the dress. I then digitized a small portion of the pattern in the handkerchief. I made an insert in the front of the skirt out of organza and embroidered this pattern from the handkerchief on that insert.

Drawing the Yoke on the Handkerchief
The Yoke Partially Finished

 

 

 

 

 

Digitized Portion of Design from Handkerchief

The bottom fancy band included french cotton laces, victorian embroideries and wide silk ribbon insertion. The back was closed with clear snaps because of the difficulty of putting button holes in the heavily embroidered handkerchief, but gold and pearl beauty pins were put on the back for looks.

Very Pretty Beauty Pins

The sleeves were made out of the same organdy as the insert on the front of the skirt. The slip made to go under the dress was made of pale pink batiste and you can see the pink slip through the organza insert on the skirt of the dress.

        

Update July, 2013

Olivia is here and she wore the pretty pink daygown home from the hospital.  She looked like a pretty little princess in it.

Olivia Looks like a Princess

The other dress was worn by Olivia for her first photo shoot.  The photos are as fabulous as the dress.  They were taken by Bonne Fete Maternity.

Olivia in her beautiful dress.