Month: March 2012

I was getting married, for the third and hopefully the last time, and I had no idea what I was going to wear. I did not want to wear some big frilly poufy wedding dress, I had already done the formal wedding on the last go around.

Then I recalled I had purchased some antique linen and lace on Ebay.  I didn”t have a plan for it when I purchased it, but now it fit into this plan beautifully

Material Used in Antique Wedding Dress
Material Used in Antique Wedding Dress

I wanted to make a fitted bodice and loose skirt, so I started by making a test bodice until I got the fit correct, then constructed the bodice, and lined it with some matching silk charmeuse that I purchased.

Bodice Under Construction
Bodice Under Construction

I used the laces around the neck edge and on the sleeve edge with some beading.

Completed Bodice
Completed Bodice

I think the dress turned out just right, fancy but not too formal.

Completed Dress
Completed Dress

My middle child, Lindsey, now has a son, John Theodore Ehricht. He is my newest grandchild. Initially we did not know the sex of the baby, so I could not start on a christening gown until she could find out the sex at her ultrasound appointment. When she did finally find out, I was able to start on the gown.

Finding pretty christening gowns for boys is difficult. I wanted it to be elaborate without being prissy. Searching for boy’s christening gowns, I found this pattern. It fit the bill nicely.

I am very picky about items I sew. If I make a mistake I will always know where those mistakes are, even if they can’t be seen by the client. I was just learning my embroidery machine, and I did not know you could combine patterns into one. . Because of that, the embroidery on the center panels initially wasn’t lined up well. Even if Lindsey or anybody else would have never noticed, I knew it was there, so I had to remake the center panels on this dress, and had to order more fabric to do that.

The image above is the detail from the two front overlay panels. In the center between those two panels, I have embroidered the Trinity Cross set.

The finished Gown

Unfortunately these photos don’t do the gown justice as it is difficult to see the level of detail in the gown.

Detail of the center panel

In this photo you can see the Trinity Cross embroidery in the center.

I made shoes and a bonnet to match.  There is a beautiful embroidered “E” on the back of the bonnet in the Christian Crosses pattern. I don’t currently have a photo of the bonnet.

and a smaller complimentary “E” on the shoes.  Teddy’s feet are so big, I don’t think these fit too well by the time he was christened.